By Paul Anthony
The Summer movie season has now ended after this labor and boy the numbers were down by 18 percent from the 2016 summer season which runs from the first Friday in May and ends on Labor Day, in this blog we are going to look at the top five winners and losers of the summer, we will start with the losers beginning with number 5 and 1 will be the biggest loser.
- The Mummy, the film seemed to doom itself when it cast Tom Cruise as the lead role, he was clearly too big for the role, then add insult to injury Tom had to play he’s normal character which he believes is cool but he couldn’t be more, what’s even more alarming is that the rumor is he demanded more screen time which cut the screen time down and made the movie more about his character. Universal wanted to start a monster universe, well sadly it’s not off to a good start.
- Baywatch, put the Rock and Zac Efron together you should have gold to make a comedy but sadly we know there needs to be more, I think we should learn by now that hit tv shows don’t make good films but we know Hollywood will continue this trend because they are just low on ideas.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The main cast was reunited, which they would hope sparked people to come back and watch their movie, with a 230 million dollar budget, they failed to make that in the domestic box office, if it wasn’t for the foreign box office, this movie would have sank big time, what is worse is that it is ranked 5 out of 5 in the series a terrible downward trend.
- War For the Planet of the Apes, the movie should have made more money, this sequel however couldn’t live up to the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. We know this trilogy was a prequel to the original film series, now with numbers being way down but still passing, might leave the fourth film up in the air.
- The Dark Tower, Fans were craving for this film when they first announced this film, people were freaking out and couldn’t wait but then they saw the film, well the few that did see it didn’t like it. The film failed to make budget at the domestic box office and barely made it to 100 million thanks to the foreign box office.
Now let’s look at the top 5 winners of the 2017 summer movie season starting with number 5 and work our way to number 1.
- Spider-man Homecoming, Sure this film might not have made billion dollars or even be the highest grossing Spider-Man film, the truth is it didn’t need to do all that to be successful, the movie was a hit among fans and critics, this fight might be number two behind spider-man 2 in the sense of being good. People went crazy for Tom Holland as Peter Parker and we are pump he will be around for some time, well if Sony realizes the deal with Marvel is a thing of beauty.
- Annabelle: Creation, this film is another case of the numbers don’t truly define its success, critics loved it and so did fans sure the money was just slightly better than the first one but in this case the quality was such a big improvement over the first one that it is insane, lucky we gave this spinoff a second chance and they delivered.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, when the first film came out we had our doubts that Marvel would make new franchise into film, it caught us off guard so the film was a true test and sure enough they made it better than the first one, the jokes, the emotions and action with the story it was all there and it paid off.
- Dunkirk, in the summer that was ruled by Marvel and even DC, this film gave us a break from comics this Nolan film that was based on a true story was a hit among the giants and at this point the last good film of the summer, Nolan proved he still has the magic when he made this and it helped when the film didn’t really have competition.
- Wonder-Woman, Dc needed a hit, the movie world needed a good female hero to prove that we can have a good movie, Wonder-Woman did all that and more, if the DCEU going to survive for another year then they need to thank this film for it, because the previous three failed where this film succeeded.
There you have it the top 5 winners and losers of the summer.