By Paul Anthony
The Summer movie season has now ended after this labor and boy the numbers were down by 18 percent from the 2016 summer season which runs from the first Friday in May and ends on Labor Day, in this blog we are going to look at the top five winners and losers of the summer, we will start with the losers beginning with number 5 and 1 will be the biggest loser.
- The Mummy, the film seemed to doom itself when it cast Tom Cruise as the lead role, he was clearly too big for the role, then add insult to injury Tom had to play he’s normal character which he believes is cool but he couldn’t be more, what’s even more alarming is that the rumor is he demanded more screen time which cut the screen time down and made the movie more about his character. Universal wanted to start a monster universe, well sadly it’s not off to a good start.
- Baywatch, put the Rock and Zac Efron together you should have gold to make a comedy but sadly we know there needs to be more, I think we should learn by now that hit tv shows don’t make good films but we know Hollywood will continue this trend because they are just low on ideas.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The main cast was reunited, which they would hope sparked people to come back and watch their movie, with a 230 million dollar budget, they failed to make that in the domestic box office, if it wasn’t for the foreign box office, this movie would have sank big time, what is worse is that it is ranked 5 out of 5 in the series a terrible downward trend.
- War For the Planet of the Apes, the movie should have made more money, this sequel however couldn’t live up to the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. We know this trilogy was a prequel to the original film series, now with numbers being way down but still passing, might leave the fourth film up in the air.
- The Dark Tower, Fans were craving for this film when they first announced this film, people were freaking out and couldn’t wait but then they saw the film, well the few that did see it didn’t like it. The film failed to make budget at the domestic box office and barely made it to 100 million thanks to the foreign box office.
Now let’s look at the top 5 winners of the 2017 summer movie season starting with number 5 and work our way to number 1.
- Spider-man Homecoming, Sure this film might not have made billion dollars or even be the highest grossing Spider-Man film, the truth is it didn’t need to do all that to be successful, the movie was a hit among fans and critics, this fight might be number two behind spider-man 2 in the sense of being good. People went crazy for Tom Holland as Peter Parker and we are pump he will be around for some time, well if Sony realizes the deal with Marvel is a thing of beauty.
- Annabelle: Creation, this film is another case of the numbers don’t truly define its success, critics loved it and so did fans sure the money was just slightly better than the first one but in this case the quality was such a big improvement over the first one that it is insane, lucky we gave this spinoff a second chance and they delivered.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, when the first film came out we had our doubts that Marvel would make new franchise into film, it caught us off guard so the film was a true test and sure enough they made it better than the first one, the jokes, the emotions and action with the story it was all there and it paid off.
- Dunkirk, in the summer that was ruled by Marvel and even DC, this film gave us a break from comics this Nolan film that was based on a true story was a hit among the giants and at this point the last good film of the summer, Nolan proved he still has the magic when he made this and it helped when the film didn’t really have competition.
- Wonder-Woman, Dc needed a hit, the movie world needed a good female hero to prove that we can have a good movie, Wonder-Woman did all that and more, if the DCEU going to survive for another year then they need to thank this film for it, because the previous three failed where this film succeeded.
There you have it the top 5 winners and losers of the summer.
By Paul Anthony
It’s no big deal,when you think about it right? Movie trailers come in bunches every week, in fact there are so many we often don’t even get around with viewing all of them but this week was a little different. The marketing campaign for films in 2017 has begun this week and things are looking good for Marvel Studios. They started this week and they ended the week with a bang, here are my reviews for this week trailers.
Let’s kick it off with Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. The first full trailer pretty much shows us enough that it will be better or on par with the first film, we don’t any villains in this trailer just them showing off the comedy and drax over reaction to Star-Lord feelings with Glamora, and don’t forget Baby groot whose nothing more than but yet very powerful, it’s hard to be negative with this trailer so I can’t. This trailer is one of those few rewatchable trailers but it made me excited for the next trailer they release.
The next trailer is Unversal Studios very own The Mummy staring Tom Cruise This film is a reboot of The Mummy franchise that starred Brendan Fraiser. We know from the previous films, the film will be based on someone or something accidentally ressurecting a Mummy. this time it is a female instead of a male and the reason is still unclear as to why this mummy needed to be ressurected. This film marks the first film in Unversal studios shared universe, so my guess is they will make this film action packed so they don’t fail and casting Tom Cruise will help the finale product.
Transformer 5 or Transformers: The last Knight trailer dropped and nonetheless it looks like anyother Transformer film. Nothing is truly revealed except we havesome returning cast members from the first three films. And Optimus maybe hurting bumblebee afterit looks like he was lost in space either on his way back or to the creaters.Like another film in the series we see a glimpse of new Transformers. Even though the trailer is no different then the previous films, I do expect this film to do good.
We finally got to see the preview for the film Baywatch, at first it looked like it was going be a serious action film with The Rock doing his part with the action scenes but then enters Zac Efron and then you get to see this film is clealry a good action-comedy film, the trailer looks like this film could be a hit which will only add to the Rock resume.
Marvel saved the best for last and last night we got to see the first full trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming. This trailer shows we are going to have the nerdy but yet goofy Peter Parker and Spider-man. This time with the age of the actor being in high school, we get to see what high school is like for Peter. Clearly after civil war Peter been getting bored with school and who can blame. We get our first full look at vulture and a quick look at Shocker, both are making their film debuts but Vulture is the main baddie in this film. Tony Stark is in this film serving Peter mentor and even being in a Iron Man suite. However I doubt he will have screen time then Peter.
There will be more trailers coming soon for example War For the planet of the apes which should be a good the second film was so good I can’t expect this to be anything less then the first film of this series.