By Paul Anthony
Welcome to a new week where we look at the numbers at the box office and see who took the top spot in this pandemic world that we live in right now. This week we had four new films that came out. We had the Courier, City of lies, Last Call and Dark State. Of the four new films only 1 managed to crack the top ten which came in at number 3, so let’s see the other top 9 films of this past weekend.
- Raya and the Last dragon, which took in 5,150,000 and bringing it’s total of 23,432,606 in it’s 3 week run.
- Tom and Jerry, which took in 3,800,000 and bringing it’s total to 33,700,000 in its 4 week run.
- newcomer The Courier, brought their first week total to 2,012,582.
- Chaos Walking in its third week brought in 1,925,000 and bringing it’s total to 9,693,633
- The Croods: A New Age, in it’s 17th week made 620,000 bringing it’s total to 55,244,578
- Boogie, in it’s third week made 600,000 and bringing its total to 3,262,475
- The Marksman, in it’s 10th week it brought in 480,000 dollars, bringing it’s total to 14,268,447.
- Wonder Woman 1984, in it’s 13th week brought in 460,000 and bringing it’s total to 45,560,000
- The Little Things, in its 8 week brought in 340,00 dollars and bringing it’s total to 14,708,000
- The father in it’s 4th week brought in 321,701 dollars bringing it’s total to just 969,640
We will see who takes the top spot next week because we do have five films entering the crowded field, until next week!!!
By Paul Anthony
Jackass 4 is happening! I couldn’t contain myself and had to start with this news. Jackass three was released ten years ago now and people craved for their return to the big screen but we know a lot has changed since the last film and that has caused a problem. Part was rumored for a few years now but Bam who is the biggest star behind Johnny Knoxville, got into drugs and fell on hard times, this occurred because what many believed was from the lost of his best friend Ryan Dunn who died in a car crash. the Lost of Dunn had the team wondering if it was time to quit and honor Dunn but the team decided part 4 would be called Not Dunn Yet in honor Dunn, this might not be the title anymore but we shall see in two years!
Sometimes we know social media can be a bad thing and when you are famous anything you say will comeback and haunt you and now one of the most famous Arthurs of our time and that writer is none other than J.K. Rowling the creator of the Harry Potter world. This week she tweeted this “Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill” Now I don’t know why she tweeted this or what it means but it has LGBTQ up in arms and Rowling has yet to explain the tweet either way this isn’t looking good for her.
James Cameron won’t stop running his mouth about how Endgame ruin his movie at being number 1 at the box office for all time. Instead he had to reassure people that when Avatar is re-released for the billionth time it will become number 1 once again. Sadly he could be right which is a shame Endgame is only ten million ahead of Avatar and I am sure it will make more then ten million because there will be enough stupid people to flock to the film instead of just buying the blu ray for 5.99.
One thing I am sick and tired of hearing about is people including Zach Snyder himself talking about his version of the film Justice league and many people believed it would have been better then what we saw. Here is the real facts here, Zach Snyder blew it with the DCEU, Man of Steel underperformed and Batman v Superman bombed both were Synder’s films and if you looked at his films he only had a few good ones, so when you think about it was his film any better I would say no, so please let it die already and move on!
Before we finished up I wanted to save this sad news for the last and on December 18th Coach Herman Boone passed away He was the coach who united not just a school but a town and made people change their ways with the help of Football, I would recommend watching Remember The Titans to fully explain what the man did was greater than any game ever played R.IP Coach Herman Boone.
By Paul Anthony
Welcome to another addition of roundabout where we take a quick look at stories that we might have missed, so let’s not waste anytime and get into it. First up we are jumping into the Wrestling world more importantly WWE. Now that AEW is in full swing there have been a lot wrestlers who are considering jumping ship when their current contracts are up and one of those wrestlers is none other then Randy Orton, which is one of the biggest names in the game. recently Orton has been posting on twitter that would imply after his contract is up that he is leaving for AEW, well we know now that Randy is staying put because he worked out a new deal that will keep him in WWE until 2024 at which put the 13 time world champion will be 44 years and have to assume he might have one more deal after that.
Justin loves the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse, me not so much, not that I think it is bad or anything like that but because it’s an animated film, We know the sequel is coming in April of 2022 and now we know one of the Spider-Mans that will be in the film. That Spider-Man is Takuya Yamshiro which is the Japanese Spider-Man from the 70’s. Hey I hope they continue on with this film series because it is something new regarding an classic character.
Now this is a story that just blows my mind, recently a story came up regarding the first socks Micheal Jackson wore when he did the first moonwalk dance, Now listen we are talking about socks here and they could sell between 1 to 2 million dollars for some socks! This just blows my mind, I get it, they are socks from Micheal Jackson’s feet and say or believe what you want about him but you have to be an insane fan to buy some socks because at the end of the day they are just socks!
In my final story for the week is regarding the DCEU and more casting news is coming out regarding the film The Batman. We know whose going to play The Riddler and Catwoman but we now know who will play the Penguin who will be played by Colin Ferrell and Andy Serkis will play Alfred. Now this movie has been in hell for a few years now and it’s nice to see this film making progress but we are still far away from this movie coming out, so hopefully there won’t be more changes from this film. Well that covers this week!
By Paul Anthony
The Summer movie season has now ended after this labor and boy the numbers were down by 18 percent from the 2016 summer season which runs from the first Friday in May and ends on Labor Day, in this blog we are going to look at the top five winners and losers of the summer, we will start with the losers beginning with number 5 and 1 will be the biggest loser.
- The Mummy, the film seemed to doom itself when it cast Tom Cruise as the lead role, he was clearly too big for the role, then add insult to injury Tom had to play he’s normal character which he believes is cool but he couldn’t be more, what’s even more alarming is that the rumor is he demanded more screen time which cut the screen time down and made the movie more about his character. Universal wanted to start a monster universe, well sadly it’s not off to a good start.
- Baywatch, put the Rock and Zac Efron together you should have gold to make a comedy but sadly we know there needs to be more, I think we should learn by now that hit tv shows don’t make good films but we know Hollywood will continue this trend because they are just low on ideas.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The main cast was reunited, which they would hope sparked people to come back and watch their movie, with a 230 million dollar budget, they failed to make that in the domestic box office, if it wasn’t for the foreign box office, this movie would have sank big time, what is worse is that it is ranked 5 out of 5 in the series a terrible downward trend.
- War For the Planet of the Apes, the movie should have made more money, this sequel however couldn’t live up to the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. We know this trilogy was a prequel to the original film series, now with numbers being way down but still passing, might leave the fourth film up in the air.
- The Dark Tower, Fans were craving for this film when they first announced this film, people were freaking out and couldn’t wait but then they saw the film, well the few that did see it didn’t like it. The film failed to make budget at the domestic box office and barely made it to 100 million thanks to the foreign box office.
Now let’s look at the top 5 winners of the 2017 summer movie season starting with number 5 and work our way to number 1.
- Spider-man Homecoming, Sure this film might not have made billion dollars or even be the highest grossing Spider-Man film, the truth is it didn’t need to do all that to be successful, the movie was a hit among fans and critics, this fight might be number two behind spider-man 2 in the sense of being good. People went crazy for Tom Holland as Peter Parker and we are pump he will be around for some time, well if Sony realizes the deal with Marvel is a thing of beauty.
- Annabelle: Creation, this film is another case of the numbers don’t truly define its success, critics loved it and so did fans sure the money was just slightly better than the first one but in this case the quality was such a big improvement over the first one that it is insane, lucky we gave this spinoff a second chance and they delivered.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, when the first film came out we had our doubts that Marvel would make new franchise into film, it caught us off guard so the film was a true test and sure enough they made it better than the first one, the jokes, the emotions and action with the story it was all there and it paid off.
- Dunkirk, in the summer that was ruled by Marvel and even DC, this film gave us a break from comics this Nolan film that was based on a true story was a hit among the giants and at this point the last good film of the summer, Nolan proved he still has the magic when he made this and it helped when the film didn’t really have competition.
- Wonder-Woman, Dc needed a hit, the movie world needed a good female hero to prove that we can have a good movie, Wonder-Woman did all that and more, if the DCEU going to survive for another year then they need to thank this film for it, because the previous three failed where this film succeeded.
There you have it the top 5 winners and losers of the summer.